Senior Vice President, Finance
The ASPCA (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is the first animal welfare organization established in North America and serves as the nation’s leading voice for animals. The organization’s mission is to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States. The ASPCA provides local and national leadership in three key areas: protecting and rescuing animals from crisis, assisting animals in communities and advancing legal protection for animals.
The ASPCA was founded by Henry Bergh in 1866 on the belief that animals are entitled to kind and respectful treatment at the hands of humans, and must be protected under the law. Headquartered in New York City, the ASPCA maintains a full-service animal hospital, spay/neuter clinic, rehabilitation center for canine victims of cruelty, kitten nursery and adoption facility. In addition, the ASPCA announced a groundbreaking anti-cruelty partnership with the New York Police Department in 2014, which has resulted in a record-breaking number of arrests and animals’ lives saved.
The ASPCA also operates programs and services that extend nationwide, including a Field Investigation and Response team that rescues animal victims of natural and man-made disasters, a fully-subsidized spay/neuter clinic in Los Angeles, and a Behavioral Rehabilitation Center for fearful, under-socialized dogs. In 2015, the ASPCA acquired Humane Alliance, the nation’s leading training and education organization focusing on high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter.
With an annual operating budget of $200M+, and 800+ talented staff nationally, the ASPCA is a privately funded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization supported by more than 2 million animal advocates across the country. For more information, please visit: www.aspca.org
The Senior Vice President (SVP) Finance, as a member of the executive leadership team, will actively participate in setting the ASPCA’s overall strategy and goals.
The SVP Finance must bring a deep commitment to, and embody, our culture and core values. With demonstrated strength in building relationships, and a direct, thoughtful communication style that engenders trust, the SVP will engage successfully with staff at all levels and across all functions, providing learning opportunities and inspiring and guiding staff to continue to increase their financial literacy and ownership of fiscal responsibilities. Through modeling a solutions-oriented approach to challenges and creating a culture where all staff thrive, the SVP Finance will lead a best-in-class finance team of roughly 25, with each team member bringing the ASPCA core values to every task, project, and interaction.
The SVP Finance is responsible for all strategic and transactional finance and fiscal management. S/he will partner with the President & CEO and other executive leadership team members to: align financial practices with business needs; increase financial forecasting; and strategically embed financial advice into relevant operating and business decisions. The SVP Finance will oversee accounting, treasury, budgeting, and financial reporting, as well as ensure that all aspects of the organization’s finances are in alignment with GAAP and other applicable regulatory requirements.
Reports to: Matt Bershadker, President and CEO
Location: New York City, NY
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Financial Strategy & Planning (25%)
- Lead the annual, organizational budget process, working closely with the President & CEO, SVP Operations and Strategy, and SVP, Development; design the process, develop the annual plan for it, and implement the plan, culminating in the approval of the budget by the Board
- Manage, plan, and organize the financial operations of the organization to support the ASPCA’s business, including ongoing operations, new initiatives, and capital/ donor acquisition investments
- Build and execute a strategic financial plan that supports the ASPCA’s short- and medium-term plans and long-term vision
- Report financials directly to the President & CEO, executive leadership team, and relevant committees of the Board, including the Finance Committee and the Audit Committee
- Monitor the ASPCA’s investments, ensuring an appropriate investment policy to guide strategic decisions that contribute to the financial strength of the ASPCA over the long-term
- Provide the President & CEO as well as the executive leadership team with direct feedback and guidance
Finance Team Leadership and Management (40%)
- Provide outstanding management and leadership of the finance team of approximately 25 employees, ensuring there is an appropriate structure and strong management across general accounting, accounts payable, travel and expense processing, payroll, treasury, budgeting, and reporting
- Lead and develop the finance team to embody organizational core values, build strong relationships across the organization and be seen as a value-added partner to program, operational and fundraising/development teams
- Ensure high-quality processes are in place to support the ASPCA’s needs and objectives, and that processes are continuously improved
- Ensure the finance team, and the organization as a whole, strategically use the ASPCA’s Workday ERP system: 1) Implement best practices to facilitate the production of timely, accurate, and actionable financial information in an efficient manner for multiple levels of the organization 2) Actively participate in the governance of Workday as an ASPCA-wide resource and member of Steering Committee 3) Ensure Finance team regularly assesses technology (and business process) function, quality, efficiency, sustainability, reporting and improvement needs. Initiate technology implementation and optimization projects as needed, and ensure effective execution of projects. 4) Ensure Finance team identifies training needs, and works with internal Workday team to deploy training that ensures the organization effectively utilizes Workday Finance.
- Ensure all financial audits and related filings (e.g., Form 990) are completed on-time and in good standing (e.g., unqualified opinion)
- Demonstrate commitment to the ASPCA’s mission by ensuring the priorities and actions of the finance team contribute to improving the lives of animals, either directly or indirectly
Financial Alignment with the Business (35%)
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends, and forecasts along with support for executive leadership and budget managers within the organization
- Maintain a close partnership with the SVP, Development to support all financial and revenue aspects of donations to the ASPCA; ensure there is regular and appropriate data shared between donor and financial systems
- Ensure appropriate partnership between finance and the ASPCA’s grants department to support all financial and reporting aspects of the ASPCA’s grant making
- Maintain strong relationships with ASPCA’s program leadership to ensure an understanding of their varied financial needs; align the finance team’s priorities accordingly
- Develop strong partnerships and lines of communication with SVP, Operations and Strategy and operational counterparts in people, IT, legal, and capital projects to ensure cross-functional work is fully supported from a financial perspective
- Remain up-to-date and knowledgeable on practices, standards, interpretations, laws, rules, and procedures related to non-profit financial management, business and accounting
Education and Work Experience:
- MBA in accounting or finance; or CPA
- A minimum of 10-15 years, with a track record of significant accomplishments in senior-level financial management roles within high-performing corporate and/or nonprofit environments.
- Ideally brings experience of financial complexity to support: high-volume consumer transactions; large-scale investments in donor- or client-acquisition strategies; and multiple, co-existing business or program models.
- Demonstrated success with complex ERP systems, such as Workday, including implementation, operation, optimization, and governance
- A proven ability to lead and manage growth and change in a dynamic, high growth, mission-driven environment.
- A history of success building and maintaining strong cross-functional partnerships
- A demonstrated ability to think strategically; ability to apply learnings to a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding communication skills with people at all levels within and outside of an organization, including a Board of Directors, audit firms, bankers, lawyers, and key business partners
- Demonstrated, outstanding ability to:1) Cultivate a high-performing, action-oriented and values-driven team 2) Build and maintain trust-based working relationships 3) Manage and integrate across all the full spectrum of accounting and finance functions4) Adapt to and lead change; and prioritize and re-prioritize as needed within a fast-paced environment while maintaining focus on strategic and mandated goals 5) Solve complex problems creatively, collaboratively, and with a strong operational and practical focus
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s core values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
Language: English (required)
Please submit resume and cover letter, in MS Word format to Viewcrest Advisors, at: firstname.lastname@example.org