Associate Vice Chancellor
Under the direction of UWM’s Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administrative Affairs, the Associate Vice Chancellor for Business and Financial Services provides leadership, policy direction and management oversight for all business and financial services at UWM, including UWM’s overall fiscal policy, procedures, reporting, communications, forecasting and planning. Specific services housed centrally within the Division of Business and Financial Services include the controller, accounting services, accounts payable, bursar, financial data administration, budget planning, purchasing and travel. The Associate Vice Chancellor also serves as a campus leader and partner on business and financial matters to UWM’s schools, colleges, and divisions, including their business staff, to UWM leadership, and UWM governance groups and subcommittees. The Associate Vice Chancellor also serves as a partner and point of contact to UW System Administration, the other campuses of the UW System and other Agencies of the State of Wisconsin. Upon request, the Associate Vice Chancellor may serve as a deputy to the Vice Chancellor.
Campus Level Business and Financial Planning and Policy Development: Provide leadership, policy direction and management oversight for all UW Milwaukee business services. Provide strategic resource deployment guidance to senior University leadership and governance bodies. Support the overall strategic goals of the University by providing business and financial expertise to help enable improved decision-making across the institution. Provide campus-level financial reports and assessments of fiscal health to the Chancellor, Provost, and Vice Chancellor for Financial Affairs; prepare summaries of key campus financial data in format suitable for campus/public viewing.
Provide campus divisions and deans/division heads with financial data needed to support key business decisions (e.g. financial dashboards, key performance metrics, quarterly statements, etc.) Manage campus financial resources consistent with the Chancellor’s mission, including advising Chancellor, Provost, and Vice Chancellors on business decisions and how they affect the integrity and overall health of UWM’s financial assets. Serve as a resource for University leaders by helping them to evaluate business decisions, particularly as it relates to the financial viability of those decisions. Engage with governance and other members of the university community on matters relating to the university’s budget and financial future. Collaborate with the University’s planning and facilities leadership to evaluate capital planning decisions and the impact such decisions have on the long term health of the university’s assets.
Operational Activities: Direct and lead the Department of Business and Financial Services to ensure the University has efficient and effective central financial operations. Lead, manage and motivate the sub-departments and personnel of Controller’s Office, including Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, the Bursar, and Auxiliary Services, the Budget Planning Office, and Purchasing. Define approaches for enhancement of university-wide services and technologies which support business and financial administration, including the budget allocation model and financial forecasting. Collaborate with unit leaders across the university to investigate, evaluate and implement best and emerging practices as they relate to university business and administrative functions, including shared services, and strategic enrollment management. Lead and collaborate with the Unit Business Representative (UBR) group, providing training and guidance on various issues through regularly scheduled meetings and information sharing. Orient new UBRs and develop their connections with Business and Financial Services. Orient new staff and university leadership as requested to Business and Financial Services (BFS) units. It is particularly important that the Associate Vice Chancellor / Director of Business & Financial Services promote an environment that is free of harassment, discrimination and retaliation and that he or she make efforts to increase the recruitment, retention and promotion of qualified candidates and employees in underutilized employee groups.
- Financial management experience within a university setting or other comparable large, complex institution or corporation (e.g. hospital, regional/national social services organization, or state/federal/municipal/county government agency);
- A demonstrated record of collaborative, ethical, team-oriented leadership-extensive experience;
- A demonstrated record of progressive, successful management, concluding with senior level experience; and
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent in Finance, Business Administration or a related discipline.
- Financial management experience within a public university setting;
- Evidence of the management and administration of budgets, personnel and facilities (e.g., office space, technology resources);
- Demonstrated ability to work within a complex organization;
- Working knowledge of information technology applications for financial and budget functions;
- An understanding of or willingness to learn State of Wisconsin, UWS and UWM policies, procedures, laws and shared governance;
- Sensitivity and commitment to equal opportunity and diversity in working with both internal and external stakeholders, including students, faculty, staff, and the community;
- Evidence of an ability to maintain, negotiate, and strengthen relationships with a wide range of internal and external constituencies, including all levels of administration, faculty and staff, and external entities; and
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work well in a fast-paced, team environment.
Completed application materials MUST include:
- A letter of application addressing educational and professional level work experience and knowledge as it relates to all minimum and preferred qualifications for the position;
- A professional resume and;
- A document listing the names and contact information for three professional references.
This is a continuous recruitment with an initial review data of 02/23/2017. Applications received after 02/22/2017 may not receive consideration.