Many people dread a visit to the eye doctor to update their prescription eyeglasses, fearing that the procedure will take a long time and be uncomfortable, and that a new pair of frames and lenses will be quite expensive. Luckily, now that many reliable optometrists and ophthalmologists have websites that allow you to pick and choose a new cheap pair of eyeglasses or prescription sunglasses from the comfort of your home, more and more people can now afford to take proper care of their eyesight.
Throughout most of human experience, if a person suffered from a genetic weakness or suffered an injury to their eyes, there was little that could be to correct their vision. It wasn't until the Ancient Romans had set their stamp on much of the western world that engineers were first able to begin crafting crude lenses to magnify and correct eyesight.
At the end of the Renaissance, and with the coming of the Industrial Revolution, new advances in optics and manufacturing processes led to the ability for the first time to produce large quantities of quality lenses suitable for eyeglasses. But it wasn't until the early 20th century when optical experts developed a sufficiently advanced technique to let ophthalmologists custom grind corrective lenses in situ, often completing the procedure in one hour or less. Soon, millions of people were flocking to their local eye specialist to get a pair of updated eyeglasses.
Although these in-house procedures were considered innovative breakthroughs then, today's wearers of glasses and prescription lenses know that convenience is just as valuable as time. Now that reputable ophthalmologists and eyeglass manufacturers are online, wearers can now comfortably order a new pair to their exact specifications, all with a few mouse clicks.
And for those that miss the in-store try-on aspect of a traditional eye doctor's office, some sites offer a virtual glasses try-on which allows you to upload your photo and virtually try-on as many glasses as you want.
Benefits of Ordering Your Eyeglasses Online
Ordering a new pair of prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses is simple, easy and only takes a few minutes. With so many reputable brands to choose from, and brand-name manufacturers that offer a wide variety of different styles, prices and options, millions of people are choosing to order all of their prescription eyewear online. Not only can users save hundreds of dollars on brand-name frames and high-quality custom lenses, but they can order from the convenience of their own home and enjoy their new glasses just a day or so afterwards. Most reputable eyeglass sellers online offer a complete money back guarantee, making ordering a new pair of glasses safe, convenient and risk-free. And with so many reputable eyeglass manufacturers doing business online, finding a competitive price is simple and quick.
What to Know Before Ordering
Before you slide your credit card out to make that new eyeglasses purchase, there are a few things you will need to know.
- First, of course you will need to know your prescription. These are the unique series of numbers that your local eye examiner can give you to tell the lens maker how to adjust your sight.
- Secondly, you will need to know your pupillary distance. Most quality ophthalmologists and optometrists give their customers this measurement, but if you don't have it, you will have to visit an eye expert to be examined.
- Third, you need to consider which lens is the best for your lifestyle. Lenses come in traditional glass, advanced lightweight plastics, as well as single focal, bifocal, and trifocal lenses.
- Fourth, look at celebrities and people you know who wear eyeglasses and decide which frame style suits your face. Many online eyeglass makers offer free software demonstrations that allow you to upload a photo of your face and then use virtual reality to see how the frames would look on you.
- Fifth, it's time to open up that drawer with all of your important documents and review your health insurance. Some people are covered just partially for frames and lenses, while others get full coverage with no copay on eye check-ups and other preventative ocular health measures.
- Sixth, find a seller online that you can trust. If there's a new kid on the block offering super low prices, give it some time and see what other customers have to say.
- Seventh, it is absolutely essential to investigate the online retailer's shipping and return policies. If glasses are shipped broken, or made to the wrong prescription, it is important to know how fast you can get your money back or a new pair of glasses made.
How You Can Save
With no unnecessary overhead expenditures, today's online prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses merchants can offer customers the absolute lowest price for quality brand-name frames and accurate, customized lenses. With no-risk return policies and free or low-cost shipping, online merchants can save eyeglasses wearers up to hundreds of dollars a year.