Instagram has been around for only a few years. Because of that, sometimes it doesn’t receive as much credit as older social media platforms. But Instagram is currently the fastest-growing social network, according to Smart Insights .
It easily beats Twitter in terms of daily active users. This level of social proliferation should not be ignored in the e-commerce marketing sector. If it isn’t already, your business can use Instagram to make a huge impact on the overall success of its marketing activities with the help of this rapidly growing network.
The Benefits of Instagram Marketing
Though the effectiveness of Instagram marketing would not make it a suitable replacement for Facebook and other social networks, it does bring certain unique benefits to the table. Here is a handful of the most powerful:
- Real Connections with Customers: Through Instagram, you will understand your consumer base more thoroughly. Social signals like shares and likes can reveal what followers specifically appreciate about your business. You’ll also be able to determine what doesn’t work, based on lack of engagement. This data can be used to improve your marketing game.
- Increased Engagement: According to research from Forrester, Instagram has the potential to offer 10 times more engagement per user than Facebook, 84 times more than Twitter, and 54 times more than Pinterest.
- Trust: It can be hard to develop strong bonds of trust between consumers and companies, but Instagram is great at this. There’s something about posting photos and stories that makes brands appear more vulnerable. Consumers feed off that connection and develop a sense of trust in such companies.
- More Valuable Traffic: It takes a few more steps for Instagram users to get to your website link, but it can still increase traffic to your site. More important, Instagram tends to generate more valuable traffic because if a consumer is taking the time to click on a link in your bio, it’s usually because he or she is genuinely interested in purchasing or subscribing.
- Get a Competitive Advantage: Facebook has become one of the most competitive social sites today. Instagram, however, has been embraced by only a small percentage of small businesses. This can give your company an opportunity to gain the advantage over your competitors who depend on other social sites.
- Advertise for Free: Instagram provides free advertising, at least for the moment. This is an offering that may not last as the site grows in popularity, so you should take advantage of it now.
- See Revenue Growth: All these marketing benefits point toward one end: a growth in profits. You’re generating more valuable connections through Instagram, and it leads to an increase in purchases on your site.
Tactics for Marketing on Instagram
It’s true that Instagram provides these excellent marketing opportunities and more. But the benefits don’t come without hard work.
Increased traffic and revenue require consistency and attention to detail, which can only be established through the proper marketing tactics. Here are some ideas.
- Build a Greater Following: The first step to better marketing on Instagram will always be generating more followers on Instagram. This can be achieved through a variety of tactics, but the most important is brand awareness. Through such mechanisms as post automation, contests, user-generated content, social mentions, and influential brand advocates, you will see greater numbers of followers and improve your brand visibility.
- Strategically Fill Out Your Bio: Every business bio should include a number of elements that make it more professional and inviting. The most important are a call to action, the link to your website, and a brief but compelling description of your organization. These elements should mesh but avoid a spammy appearance for optimum effect.
- Use Trending Hashtags and Make Your Own: Posts that carry hashtags attract 12.9 percent more engagement than posts that lack them. With Instagram’s Explore feature, users can identify trending hashtags, which you can use to boost brand exposure. You can also make your own hashtags to brand your posts. About 70 percent of the most-used hashtags are branded, which suggests you could cover a lot of ground with a cleverly created hashtag.
- Try Multimedia: A combination of video and photos can add variety to your posting strategy and keep things interesting for customers. Research from HubSpot shows that a video on social media can generate three times more inbound links than a written post, so it might be wise to include this kind of media in your postings.
Instagram is an impressive social site that’s growing rapidly in popularity and business use. Since it’s still a fairly new market, it’s not totally oversaturated with businesses trying to advertise and gain followers.
But it probably won’t be long before more organizations catch on. If you want to get the most benefit out of your Instagram business profile, start engaging with the platform as soon as possible.